Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 1 After Surgery

My face hurt the minute I woke up today, but I expected it. I discovered that when I moved my mouth to eat or talk, it pulled on the tape covering the bandage, which applied pressure to the surgery site. OK, I can go without talking (for a little while), but I can't go without eating. I was also feeling depressed about the whole situation, in general. The realization hit me that 1.) I had had cancer, and 2.) That I'd had major facial surgery, and 3.) I would be the latest Bride of Frankenstein once my bandage came off. 

One of my girlfriends had planned to come over this morning and bring me a latte. It sounded like a great idea at the time, but this morning, it wasn't a good idea at all. I had to call and cancel, even tho I really wanted to see her and catch up on things. 

I managed to give my two dogs a bath and get some laundry done, but other than that, it was a low-key day. I noticed as the day went on that the soreness when I moved my mouth was lessened. 

Tomorrow I'll attempt to shower and wash my hair, which should be interesting, considering I can't get my bandage wet under any circumstance. I have some clear plastic that I'm thinking about cutting to fit my face, then using waterproof tape to hold it in place while I shower. We'll see how it goes. 

Originally I hadn't planned to share my surgery pics with anyone, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought, "What the hell?" It is what it is, and I can't change that. I know how much I appreciate seeing actual patient photos, so I hope mine are helpful to the next person. 

For now, it's been a long, blue day. I felt the need for some comfort food, so DH brought home some ice cream. It helped...a little:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment